VAF-6R Recon Alpha
The Alpha and Beta Veritech Fighters are the latest developments of Doctor Lang and his Robotech research specialists. The initial idea was to create a smaller, transformable Veritech fighter. Something very much like the old 45 ft. (13.7 m) VF-Veritech series, but half the size for greater combat mobility. A smaller mecha could go places its larger predecessors could not. it would also make the vehicle a smaller target.
The Alpha is a small jet fighter that stands about 28 ft. tall in battloid; a full 16 ft 5 inches shorter than the Super Veritech. Doctor Lang contends that he can reduce the size another 8 ft. (2.4 m), but at the sacrifice of the formidable weapons systems.
Although the Alpha Fighter is slower than the VF series Veritech, it is much more manoeuvrable and loaded with five times as many short-range missiles (60 compared to the VF's 12). Like the VF series Veritech, the Alpha Fighter also has a standard GU style gun pod called the GU-XX. One GU-XX is standard issue, but two can be stowed on top and one on the undercarriage. The GU-XX can be fired while in jet and guardian modes (used as a hand-held weapon in battloid mode only).
Special Equipment for the VAF-6R:
- Infrared Spotlight (head)
- Range: 2000ft (609m). The infrared spotlight sits in the front of the sensor head like the giant, red eye of a cyclops.
It emits an infrared light beam that is invisible to the normal eye (including Invid). However, an enemy with infrared optics
can easily see the beam of light and track it to the Alpha. Smoke impairs vision/beam.
- Thermo Imager (head)
- Range: 2000ft (609m). A special heat optical sensory unit that allows the infrared radiator of warm objects to be converted
into a visible image. It also enables the pilot to see in darkness, shadows and through smoke.
- Nightvision Optics (head)
- Range: 2000ft (609m). An image intensifier that is passive, meaning it emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient
light which is electronically amplified to give a visible picture. Night vision cannot work in absolute darkness (but infrared can).
- External Audio Pickup (head)
- Range: 300ft (91m). A sound amplification listening system that can pickup a whisper 300ft away.
- External Video Surveillance System (head)
- Range: 600ft (183m). The box on the side of the head is a video camera system with telescopic capabilities (6X magnification).
The video images can be relayed to the cockpit monitor and stored on removable video discs. Maximum capacity is 24 hours. Discs can be
erased and reused.
||120mph running, 300mph flying
||11 tons empty, 16.4 tons loaded
- 2 Lasers in nose
- GU-XX 35mm gun pod
- 60 SRM's